Year : 2018 | Volume : XIV | Issue : 1 | Page : 31-34
Vitiligo Successfully Treated by Homoeopathy: A Case Report
Dr. Uday Shankar, MD (Hom)1
1Medical Officer, Dhanarupa Primary Health Centre, Patna, Bihar, E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Vitiligo is alternatively known as leukoderma which is an autoimmune skin condition that arrives due to expression of low melanin pigment. A case of vitiligo is presented here that was treated successfully by homoeopathic medicine Calcarea carb in 50 millesimal potencies.
Vitiligo, Quality of life, Homoeopathy, Case Report
Vitiligo is a disease in which melanocytes (pigment-producing cells) are damaged or destroyed resulting in a patchy loss of pigment from areas of skin . Surprisingly, the causes of vitiligo are yet to be precisely established, but most of the researches done so far attributing points to vitiligo. It is an autoimmune disorder, where the patient’s immune system becomes overactive, causing destruction of the melanocytes, genetic oxidative stress imbalance and resulting in a stressful event. Less than 1% of the populations are affected by the appearance of vitiligo in their skin [2, 3]. The disease may be seen in persons irrespective of their age, sex or ethnic discrimination. But larger percentages of cases are seen to start around the age of 20 years.
Homeopathic medication involves a holistic approach for the understanding of the patient and integrates this approach to provide individualized patient treatment. Certain diseases are manifest when genetic predisposition combines with psycho and physiological disorders and homeopathy recognizes these factors. Homeopathy considers the patient’s susceptibility to certain kind of stress, which means that homeopathy can be more successful during the early or ate development of a disease, even before conventional medicine usually begins . Available treatment options are disappointing and sufferers often use of various forms of camouflage (remedial cosmetic cover creams) to conceal the blemish of vitiligo temporarily . Homoeopathic medicines such as Calcarea carbonica, Arsenicum album, Sulphur, Phosphorus, Natrum muriaticum, Thuja, Lycopodium, Mercurius solubilis and Arsenicum sulphuratum flavum were found to be most frequently prescribed in the vitiligo cases, which are mostly the constitutional medicines with the exception of Ars. Sulph flavum .
The present case study was conducted at primary health centre Dhanarua, Patna.
A girl aged about 7 years was suffering from vitiligo around her both the eyes for a period of 1 year came to the hospital and considered for the present study. She had been treated with a lot of empirical homoeopathic medicines such as
Arsenicum sulfuratum flavum-6X, Hydrocotyle Ø and Psoralea cor Ø, for a long period but no improvement was observed. A constitutional medicine Calc. carb- 0/1 to 0/8 potencies was prescribed based on the totality of symptom for 4 months.
Name – XXX; Age – 7 years, Sex – Female
1) White patches on both the eye lids since 1 year.
2) Chronic cold and cough for last 3 to 4 years.
3) Bleeding per rectum; agg. passing hard stool; since 6 to 7 months.
Present Complaints in detail:
Onset – Gradual
Duration – For the last 1 year
Probable Causes – Nothing Significant
Previous treatment: Treated with a lot of empirical homoeopathic medicines such as Arsenicum sulfuratum flavum-6X, Hydrocotyle Ø and Psoralea cor Ø, for 10 months but no improvement was observed.
Past History: Chicken pox.
- Maternal Side – Grandmother suffering from DM.
- Paternal Side – Nothing Identified.
Personal History: Delayed dentition.
- Appearance – Nothing Significant.
- Appetite – Normal.
- Desire – sweet, egg, warm food.
- Aversion – milk, sour.
- Intolerance – Nothing such.
- Thirst – Moderate.
- Tongue – Black spot in lateral side of tongue.
- Stool – Normal in colour and consistency.
- Urine – Clear.
- Sweat – profuse from head.
- Sleep – Nothing Significant.
- Dreams – Nothing Significant.
- Thermal reaction – Ambithermal, susceptible to cold.
- Mild, timid, lazy & sluggish.
- Easily tired on slight exertion.
- Easily nervous.
- Fear of ghosts and dogs.
Repertorisation done by Hompath Classic Software (Complete Repertory):
After analysis, repertorisation, and consultation of Materia Medica; the medicine selected was Calcarea carb.
Medicine Prescribed: Calc. carb. 0/1, followed by 0/2 and 0/3; 1 oz, 8 doses, alternate day morning in empty stomach
After one month
No change in white patches.
Calc. carb 0/4, 0/5, 0/6; 1 oz, 8 doses, alternate day’s morning in empty stomach.
After two months
80% of white patches were subsiding.
Calc. carb 0/7, 0/8; 1oz, 8 doses, every 4th day morning in empty stomach.
After four months
All the patches disappeared.
B. After Treatment
Conclusion: It is concluded that there is a scope for the treatment for vitiligo in Homeopathy through constitutional prescribing or based on the repertorisation. The present study also suggests that the trial with empirical homeopathic medicine may be avoided to reduce the time elapse for the treatment.
- Whitton ME, Pinart M, Batchelor J, Lushey C, Leonardi-Bee J, González U. Interventions for vitiligo. In: Whitton ME, editor. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews. Chichester, UK: John Wiley & Sons, Ltd; 2010.
- Dvhani ML, et al. Various Treatments for Vitiligo: Problems Associated and Solutions. J Appl Pharm Science. 2014;4:101-105.
- Lesley MF, et al. Vitiligo: A comprehensive Overview. J American Academy Dermatol. 2011;65:493-514.
- Mahesh S, Mallappa M, Tsintzas D, Vithoulkas G. Homeopathic treatment of vitiligo: a report of fourteen cases. Am J Case Rep. 2017;18:1276–1283.
- Dewan D, Taneja D, Singh U, Mittal R, Khurana A. Homoeopathic research in vitiligo: Current scenario. Indian J Res Homoeopathy. 2017;11:226.
- Sarveswari KN. Cosmetic camouflage in vitiligo. Ind J Dermatol. 2010;55:211.
Cite this article as: Shankar U. Vitiligo Successfully Treated by Homoeopathy: A Case Report. National Homoeo Recorder 2018;XIV(1):30-34